Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Never let the facts get in the way of your story

The ignominy of Fred Hiatt's reign continues. Despite continually being bombarded with reality, Hiatt not only gives shills like Byron York and Victoria Toensing editorials without denoting the nature of their conflicts, Hiatt continues to lie about the circumstances of the case and about Joe Wilson. This is at least the fourth or fifth time that Hiatt has been completely wrong about about this...he cannot possibly not know the truth by now.

"Wilson...suggested that he had been dispatched by Mr. Cheney to look into the matter"


This of course is WRONG, here is what Wilson wrote on July 6, 2003:

In February 2002, I was informed by officials at the Central Intelligence Agency that Vice President Dick Cheney's office had questions about a particular intelligence report. While I never saw the report, I was told that it referred to a memorandum of agreement that documented the sale of uranium yellowcake — a form of lightly processed ore — by Niger to Iraq in the late 1990's. The agency officials asked if I would travel to Niger to check out the story so they could provide a response to the vice president's office.

After consulting with the State Department's African Affairs Bureau (and through it with Barbro Owens-Kirkpatrick, the United States ambassador to Niger), I agreed to make the trip. The mission I undertook was discreet but by no means secret. While the C.I.A. paid my expenses (my time was offered pro bono), I made it abundantly clear to everyone I met that I was acting on behalf of the United States government.


By this time, it is plain that not only is Hiatt wrong, but what he asserts has been so constantly refuted (and is so plainly wrong from the face of it) that it is now a LIE!

There follows the usual litany of "no underlying crime" and every other piece of bullshit that excuses the White House lying to reporters and reporters not giving a damn, all to punish critics of their "devine" office holding.

He really should just drop the veneer and go to work for 'The Corner', they desperately need someone to actually be an editor. Feel free to contact readers' representative writers' apologist Debra Howell.

No comments: