Friday, September 03, 2004

The Subpar Speech in More Detail

Well, our four-day nightmare is finally over. The locusts have returned to their hermetically sealed buses and returned back to their native lands not to return until their four year reproductive cycle brings them back to some poor metropolis. Until then america's television broadcasters are going to have to settle for their normal Republican minorities; Colin, Condi, Clarence, and...well that's about it.

What they will do on January 21, 2005, I don't know. Maybe camp out at Clarence Thomas's house.

No, I don't think Bush's Convention speech was a disaster by any means. Rather, it was unmemorable. In fact, I don't think I can recall any particular renomination speech other than Carter's and that is simply because of an embarrassing gaffe. Otherwise, they have each and every one of them been listless, lifeless events. After four years these guys are known quantities, they are not introducing themselves to you.

Trying to be objective about it, I was not really sold on the theatre in the round thing. Maybe it is because I am a traditionalist and want my speeches to be a certain way, but I expect my convention speeches to be made from an imperial box barking marching orders down upon the troops, not a speech whose tenor, tone and sound is similar to what you might see any day on C-Span and that is how it felt. It made him seem small -- but then again, I generally think that any way. A few points I remember.

* The big domestic item, the "ownership society" was pretty bereft not only of detail, but anything above a slogan. What was said about "ownership" veered into undoing labor laws and overtime -- that seems awful close to the "ownership society" John C. Calhoun would have approved. There were also allusions to privatizing Social Security. Republicans love that little chestnut, but it is a campaign killer, and Bush's noticeable lack of enthusiasm for it (and frankly most every domestic item he talked about -- he is after all the son of GHWB) pretty much said it all. It isn't happening, and I don't expect to hear much of it, except to the extent Kerry beats Bush over the head with the proposal.

* He mentioned three former presidents by name: two of them were Democrats and only one Republican, St. Ronnie of Coco Puffs naturally. Funny how he didn't put in a gratuitous plug for the old man. Considering the listlessness of this speech, I thought this was called for.

* Bush's two biggest reactions from the delegates were potshots at trial lawyers (twice) and anti-abortion rhetoric. I believe that Born-Again, Insurance Company Executives make up a high proportion of delegates. Some day, some GOP Nominee will take advantage of this situation and be against abortions for all, except for its being mandated for trial lawyers.

* No mention of Osama Bin Laden. But the message sure was intended to confer the idea that if you wanted to live...you ought not vote for Kerry. Nice, positive message.

* There was no mention creating jobs. Now it was reported that Bush did not peak at the job numbers to be reported today, but one wonders if it doesn't sound so hot. Maybe he is hedging his bets not to look foolish, I guess we will find out. If they are bad, look for that bounce to disappear.

* I didn't really scan the post-speech stage as I was watching the Daily Show, but am I wrong that Mary Cheney was missing again?

* This may, of course, be influenced by my perspective, but when that protestor was dragged out, did the smirk on Bush's face denote he enjoyed watching that small woman get man-handled? Right after she was dragged away he stuttered a bit. I'm amazed that protestors got in each day of the convention, particularly during that speech.

In any case, I wasn't impressed, but it wasn't a bad speech, just not a particularly good or riveting one.




No comments: