Monday, April 04, 2005

Attaturk and Bandwidth

Where have I been? I've been trying to chime in but found blogger uncooperative--clinically and criminally uncooperative. Then I got a note from Blogger that Attaturk was using all the bandwidth. But he has been doing a great job, has a demanding audience, and, of course, a typical male ego so I just left well enough alone.

I'm gone for a few days and Terri Schiavo croaks, then the Pope. I've confessed here before that I am an itinerant Catholic, not quite lapsed, and have just a couple thoughts to share.

First, the fact that anyone thought what happened with Terri Schiavo was murder is simply out of their mind or didn't take the time to understand what was happening. Did anyone consider whether her life had any meaning? Does the fact that she had no ability to perceive happiness let alone pursue it mean anything?

Second, the people that expolited the family for political gain are evil. That inlcudes religious and political figures.

Third, the Pope did some great things during his papacy mostly regarding mending fences with other religions but continued a theology of misogyny and ancient attitudes regarding celibacy, birth control, and divorce. Did I expect him to change? I gave up on that a long time ago and fear the most we can hope for in the next Pope is someone who will lay the groundwork for those kinds of changes.

As someone raised in the religion (some would say indoctrinated) I have at least a passing interest in who succeeds JP II. So here is my wish: a man (grudgingly I have to ackowledge to even dream that a woman could be Pope even in the lifetimes of my great-great-great grandchildren is folly) who foregoes all the usual trappings of the office, wears a simple brown cassock, and lives the ethic exemplified by Mother Theresa. Now that would be setting an example.

No comments: