Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Democracy Starts at Home --

Attaturk had many chances to vote by absentee ballot this year, and turned each and every opportunity down. Taking the gamble that I would live to this day, I wanted the experience of voting on election day.

Where I live, Republicans and Democrats are split pretty evenly and the ethnic make-up is such that, well let's just say there's a lot of white people. In addition, people where I live are generally polite on the surface. In other words, I doubt there will be much of a problem when I cast my ballot both FOR Kerry, because he is a good man, with whom I agree on most issues, and AGAINST Bush, who's personal vanity has to this point prevented him from imposing marshall-law and tossing folks like me into Gitmo -- we'll see how that pans out in the next week or so. In other words I'm voting for a Democratic Republic, and against a Theocratic Oligarchy.

But while, I, the prototypical middle-aged white man, cast my ballot with ease at a polling place made up of friendly poll-watchers of both parties, I hope that the rest of you, and people across the nation have a similarly easy experience. But I fear it will not be so easy for many of my fellow likely-democratice voters. Feel free to let us know your personal voting story.

No comments: