Sunday, June 03, 2007

Particularly Painful

To my knowledge three prominent bloggers have been lost this year; conservative Cathy Seipp (who I admit I never read but she had her fans -- who I assume never read this blog ... so there you are); and two people I did read, Uppity Negro, who I read occasionally and Steve Gilliard who I read every day.

There may be others I am not thinking of, but it seems quite striking that none of them are middle-aged white guys -- like me. [Of course maybe having no idea who people are helps too as it gets rid of preconceptions - real or imagined].

Just makes the loss even worse.

Of course, it's hard to tell who is who on the internet; harder than in other means of communication. Unless you are upfront about it, it's tough to tell. But as I sit here -- and I may simply be forgetting the obvious, Gilliard and U.N. were the two blogs I can think of that I knew were written by African-Americans, so I miss them all the more.

Jen, Steve's friend and blog-cohort (helped out by many guest bloggers including Res Ipsa and myself but especially Hubris Sonic) will be putting guest book up on the NewsBlog if you'd like to visit and express your thoughts.

UPDATE: D'Oh! Oliver Willis. I'm a moron. Back to our regular programming.

No comments: