Monday, October 29, 2007

Yes, I Do Still Blog Here ...

Hey. Back from a stretch of having to do, you know, actual work at work and a little weekend sojourn. Meanwhile, Miscellaney:

1. File under, "I KNEW IT!" There is a reason that I flirt my a## off every time I am in Trader Joe's. I thought it was that they were wafting pheromones through the HVAC system. But no, it's just an effective HR initiative.

2. Sweet Jesus, I hate the NYT! Is there any fucking reason that wealthy people need more help staying wealthy? No, there is not. There is a reason, however, that the Sulzbergers need to keep running articles designed to whip up their base, a/k/a anxious upper middle class burghers and, especially, those who aspire to such status. How convenient that Guardian America is now available to us all.

3. I'm catching up on magazines and finally got to this Remnick article about Gary Kasparov, who is making a nuisance of himself in Pooty Poot's Russia. (He's also winning the hearts of Wingnuts, but that's another story.) Anyway, my favorite part of the article was when an economist (and former member of Putin's government) described life in contemporary Russia as follows:
“The vast majority of people enjoy the fact that for the first time in Russian history they have lived for fifteen years now without the constant pressure of totalitarianism in every aspect of their lives... For example, you can travel abroad freely. The majority of people can’t yet afford to do this, but the most active and educated can, and this makes a huge difference. The authorities here let you exist so long as you don’t call them into question. In other words, the deal they offer is: You let us steal and we let you live.”
Hey, I can relate to that. The deal BushCo (and Republicans in general) offer is, "You let us steal and we don't call you a terrorist, treasonous, a traitor, or a faggot."

4. There will be a new installment of "The Continuing Adventures of Rudy & Judi" soon. In the meantime, here are Parts I, II, and III.

No comments: