Wednesday, July 02, 2008

He Couldn't Make It Here, Yet He Made It Everywhere

And still, he whines, like the typical Republican that he is:

“I assumed there was a fraternity of broadcasting guys in New York,” he told me. “I thought my success would launch me into a circle of accomplished people. Look, I admired these people. Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather — people watched these guys. I thought they would welcome me as one of them. I was wrong.”

(In the immortal words of Ricky Roma, "Who ever told you that you could work with men?")

Eventually Limbaugh came to a rather obvious conclusion. “I realized that my professional achievements were discounted because of my conservatism and
my constant criticism of those who I thought would welcome me.”


No, actually, they were discounted because you're an asshole, a vulgarian, and a charlatan. (There's also your little facism problem, your relationship with illegal narcotics, and your contempt for your audience, the country, the Constitution, and anyone else that can't stuff your fat paws with cash, your big mouth with cigars, and your even fatter gullet with red meat and drugs. But I digress...)

Why on earth did he expect people he was mocking on the air to embrace him, I asked.
“Immaturity,” he said.
Whoa! Insight! (albeit momentary)

“I was shocked by the visceral hatred. Nobody hated me growing up. Nobody hated me in Kansas City. Even in Sacramento, which is a liberal town, nobody hated me. That didn’t happen until I got to Manhattan.”
No doubt he'll whine that this (if this ever actually happened) was the result of "elitism," but what it really was the world-class New York bullshit detector at work. All New Yorkers have it, whether they're born and bred here, or come to make their fortune. This whiner par extraordinaire has millions of fans, but still, the little voice at the back of what's left of his druggy brain persists: "Why don't they like me? I want them to like me!" -- in spite of his ceaseless demands for Asshole Rights, his contempt for democracy, and his perennial boorishness. The fact that it's still bugging him tastes good, if you ask me. Tell it to a mental health professional, loser. You can make it your personal improvement project for the eight-year duration of the Barack Hussein Obama administration.

1 comment:

pwlsax said...

I don't think any better of Rush than you do, but I don't have your faith in the New York bullshit detector, either.

There is one frequency of bullshit it can't tune in. That is the collective bullshit of New York itself, the shared delusion that it is the pure truth, the hometown of reality.