Thursday, July 05, 2007

Manufacturing your own reality...includes making up your own science

This is just pathetically embarassing. There is no way a credible conservative can defend this...

Q. How did you get appointed to President Bush’s Council on Bioethics?

A. I received a call in the autumn of 2001 from Leon Kass, the chairman. He asked if I’d serve. I think he’d already called a lot of people who’d turned him down.

This was not too many days after 9/11. In that moment, I wanted to help the country, but didn’t know how. I thought, ‘I certainly know cell biology, and that’s what I can be useful for.’ So I accepted. But I had to be vetted by the White House office of personnel first. One question I was asked was, ‘Who did you vote for?’

Q. Once on it, did you feel the council had a preset political agenda?


A. Oh, yes. Especially about stem cells. Basically it was, ‘You don’t need any of those pesky embryonic stem cells because everything is wonderful with adult stem cells.’ When one would ask, ‘What’s the evidence?’ you’d hear, ‘Somebody wrote a review article about adult stem cells.’ And I’d say, ‘That is not the same as primary data. Anyone with a word processor can write a review article.’

There was a lot of that, and I was always saying, ‘Let’s look at the science.’ My persistence didn’t endear me to Leon Kass, I felt. One day, I was asked to call the White House personnel office where an official said, ‘Thank you. Thank you for serving.’ I asked him, ‘Why are you thanking me?’ ‘You will no longer be on the council.’ I was one of two members who hadn’t been reappointed for a second two-year term.

Q. Did the experience anger you?


A. It disappointed. Particularly this closed view on embryonic cells. To make a division between them and adult stem cells is foolish because they are all on a continuum. To understand how any of these work means researchers have to look at and compare them to each other. Why blind yourself to this fact?


Six and a half years of this bullshit.

No comments: