Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Too Optimistic?

I don't know about all of you but I am always a little thrown by some of the predictions of the futurists.  Take for example, the futurist with the best track record, Ray Kurzweil.  In the NYT today, he is quoted from the World Sciences Festival talking about what he considers the inevitable rise of cybernetic self-improving cyborg humanity.

Throw a problem at Kurzweil and he is eternally optimistic.  I have always been comforted by the fact that it is far more likely that our future will look like Blade Runner than Star Trek.  Assuming we do not create the super-bug-virus or a more firey way to annihilate ourselves.  And do not get me started on the religious crazies and what they might do with future tech.

Pessimistic?  Sure.  But consider how often (and invariably) we have created greater means of destruction with tech than improvement.  Yes, we have incredible medicine and technology -- just look at what is being provided Ted Kennedy.  But how many of us can actually afford these marvels?

I am not going to hold my breath and wait for the singularity.

No comments: