Thursday, June 05, 2008

Walk Off

Saw the Yankees win in a walk off last night with my friend R., who attempted a little Tri-State political humor:
So Eliot Spitzer, Jim McGreevey, and John Rowland walk into a brothel and the madam says, "You can have anything you want. What would you like?"

"I'd like a lucious young lady to offer me her bodacious body," says Spitzer, who is presented with just that and walks off with her.

"I'd like a hot young stud to present me with his sculpted six-pack," says McGreevey, who is presented with just that and walks off with him.

"And you, sir," says the madam, to the former governor of Connecticut?

"I'd like someone to paint my house."
Last night may be my last visit to the House that Ruth Built as New York taxpayers are building George Steinbrenner a new Yankee Stadium. (Don't even get me started on that $70MM.). There are things I love about Yankee Stadium: the moment when you enter the stands from the stadium perimeter and see the lush bright green grass under the lights and the famous facade for the first time; the sight of the No. 4 train snaking through the space between the deck and the facade; the Bleacher Creatures' famous first inning Roll Call; and the fact that there's still organ music played.

I've seen a couple of notable games at Yankee Stadium:

Game 6 of the 1977 World Series (with my dad and mom)
Game 6 of the 1996 World Series (with my cousin and his kids)
1996 opening day snow-out (with my then-beau)
Dwight Gooden's 1996 no-hitter vs. the Seattle Mariners (with the same then-beau)

R. and I watched the game, snacked, and talked politics, specifically veeps. He likes Ted Strickland or Kathleen Sebelius. I like Jim Webb.

Who do you like?

I'm walking off to the Lone Star State for a VLWC meeting this weekend. Haven't been there since 1990. I hope a charming local gent (or two) calls me "Darlin'."

*R: Sorry, had to clean up the language. This is a family blog. :-)

Photo: Barton Silverman/The New York Times

No comments: