Monday, August 02, 2010

Land of the not so free, home of the craven

Will Bunch looks at SB 1070 in Arizona and founds the right-wing has already pretty much shot both of the State's feet off...naturally leading to hate the non-white people even more, for doing to logical thing and getting away from those assholes.

The goal of SB 1070 has already been mostly accomplished -- creating a climate of fear and loathing to drive away Mexicans, and not just those that are here without documents. This law hurts everybody -- it also harms non-Mexican residents of Arizona by blowing a huge whole in their already reeling economy. And it has greatly harmed all of America, and our reputation as the kind of nation that would never codify such ugliness in our laws. And it's too late for the damage to be undone.


Nothing like listening to xenophobes and racists and hurting your own economic self-interest.

And that, is not just the nasty underside of American politics, it's the nasty underside of any Democratic system. That's not to advocate some other system, which have even worse problems -- but that doesn't mean it should not be recognized.

3 comments:

pansypoo said...

the republikkklans in AZ (+ elsewhere) rule much like ferdinand IV of spain.


sorry, i have been ading all the ferdinands in my 1891 E Britannica.

Anonymous said...

15 years ago, I lived in Arizona. One of the people that I connected with was a hispanic American from Iowa.

One night we went out after a concert. I said that Arizona was one of the worst states for discrimination that I had ever lived in. He denied any discrimination. I pointed out that he being 6 feet 4 inches tall and over 250 pounds might have some effect.

I went outside while he went to the men's room. I found three black ladies and went up to them and told them what my friend and I had been discussing. One told me flat out that they were singers from Detroit and the first time that anyone had the gall to call her by n was in Phoenix.

My friend came out. I introduced him and let them tear him a new asshole.

He never believed me.

Two or three weeks ago I got an "I need help" email from him. He had to get the hell out of Phoenix or he was going to hurt someone. He had sold everything he could and needed two hundred dollars to move to northern California.

Guess I was right.

pansypoo said...

1st they came for the democrats and i did nothing.....