Monday, February 06, 2006

I wish I could have some confidence

But Congress is not exactly a place where one finds a lot of profiles in "courage". The last politician to actually break lock-step was John Murtha, who despite impecable credentials was still quickly abandoned by his own party of cowards and jumped on by the even worse party of cretins.

Abu Al Gonzales does not impress me as an intellectual giant - unless you have watched Dracula movies and never failed to be impressed by the mental acumen of Renfield. The guy is the most Uriah Heepish of Bush's cronies. But he is also, in my opinion the weakest and the least able to make coherent arguments out of thinly veiled lies. Al Gonzales is the smartest man in the room, as long as we are talking about his private meetings with the Chimp - otherwise, no so much.

In spite of this, call me a pessimist. This is, in its fashion, the most significant political issue since the height of Watergate. I realize too many people don't give a shit - but those people exercise their rights about as often as they go for a jog. This hearing is all about whether we have a King, or are a Republic.

Naturally, I expect the GOP to fall into its natural authoritarian instincts, and the Democrats to by and large cower over the enormity of it all. I know that Specter made some statements yesterday that might give one hope, but I've followed Specter enoough in his career to believe that when push comes to shove, he'll always nobly jump just before the push comes. As Teddy Roosevelt once said, Specter has the backbone of an eclair.

There are a number of conservatives bothered by Bush's overreach - but how many of those "conservatives" are actually serving in Congress, none.

I know this is low-balling it, but based on the past track record, this at least will keep me from being bitterly disappointed.

No comments: