Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Clown Halls

If I were a member of Congress on August recess I wouldn't waste my time on this "Town Hall" nonsense. Who started the modern day version of town halls, anyway? I know they're part of our long and glorious history, but they don't work in an era of lunatics who think the government is going to ration their toilet paper after murdering their grandma at the behest of a "Death Panel comprised of Bill Ayers, the Reverend Wright, and the Black Panthers.

So if I was a member of congress, here's what I'd do. There are twenty-one working days in August. I'd set aside six hours of every working day for thirty minute meetings with groups of no more than five people. They'd have to register in advance, but the only requirement for attending would be that they live in the district. The meetings would be held in a conference room at the representative or senator's local office, they could start late in the day and go into the evening, so that people who work could get to them. Some would be held on Saturdays.

That's sixty constituents a day for twenty-one days, i.e., they have productive meetings with 1,260 grownup constituents instead of pointless free-for-alls with mouthbreathing Malkinite wingnuts.

You can bet that these wingnuts would not pull this shit in a room of five people. They need their demented pals alongside them in large numbers to behave this badly.

It's only August 12th, congress. There's still time to try this. And you don't even have to thank me for the idea.

No comments: