Monday, November 24, 2014

How thoroughly and completed unexpected

I mean all us anti-interventionist peaceniks predict stuff like this every time, and every time we turn out to be right...because every time nobody listens.

Damn us and our non-existent patchouli-loving stereotypes.

US air strikes in Syria are encouraging anti-regime fighters to forge alliances with or even defect to Islamic State (Isis), according to a series of interviews conducted by the Guardian.

Fighters from the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and Islamic military groups are joining forces with Isis, which has gained control of swaths of Syria and Iraq and has beheaded six western hostages in the past few months.

Some brigades have transferred their allegiance, while others are forming tactical alliances or truces. Support among civilians also appears to be growing in some areas as a result of resentment over US-led military action.

On the other hand, it does guarantee perpetual war and unending military expenditure.   Which is probably the point.

Huzzah!

[cross-posted at Firedoglake]

7 comments:

StonyPillow said...

If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and the enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my enemy, does that make the enemy of my enemy of my enemy of my enemy my friend?

DanF said...

The enemy of your enemy's enemy is your enemy. Unless he is your other enemies enemy. But, if your enemy's enemy is not your other enemy's enemy, you're screwed because you'll be supporting not the enemy of your enemy, but your enemy's friend. Iran is our enemy, but the enemy of one of our enemy's and the friend of another enemy, which I think makes them the enemy of our enemy of our friend's enemy - so they're our BFF's Best Frienmeny Forever! We should exchange golden pipeline charm bracelets.

Anonymous said...

We can only Obamanably HOPE our neo-colonial KirkukTown SURRENDER comes SOONER Than later! Meanwhile, that's "Hoo-aaa" !

Anonymous said...

Wasn't this one of the mobs McStain was so keen to give weapons to?
Looks like Palin's running mate was the one "palling around with terrorists"

pansypoo said...

just remember, this is all the leftovers from the SCOTUS pick georgee + dickie. what could go wrong. but we can lay this at the feet of whichever pope + the crusades as well. history is full of bullshit + yes. unlikely to end.

Anonymous said...

And on and on....

Brian M said...

But, but...we have to bomb Islamists, I am assured. Maybe we need to talk about Final Solutions?

I can't believe people still say this kind of stuff.