Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Stories making my tiny brain hurt

So many conundrums:

[T]here are certain colorful aspects of the president's life that have not been much explored, understandably overshadowed by war and a hard-fought election


...

...he listens to Creedence Clearwater Revival on his iPod, for instance.


I'm sure he listens to 'Fortunate Son' without any irony whatsoever!

The Bushes watch first-run movies once or twice a week. They screened "Meet the Parents" for British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his wife at Camp David. Recently, the Bushes watched the sequel, "Meet the Fockers," as well as "The Phantom of the Opera" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou." Laura Bush watched the French film "A Very Long Engagement." Last summer, she invited the Afghan ambassador's wife to the White House to see "Osama," a feature film by Siddiq Barmak about women under the Taliban.


...I'm sure they are big Wes Anderson fans. Bush's Presidency seems right out of 'Bottle Rocket' and he would fit easily as one of Herman Blume's brats. And like Max Fischer I could see him proclaiming, "I saved latin social security".

There's more:

[Bush] does read the Bible every day (Attaturk: -- especially Revolations), he said, but he is also a fan of biographies. He's recently read two books about Founding Fathers – Joseph Ellis on George Washington and Ron Chernow on Alexander Hamilton (which he told C-SPAN is "a fascinating history of how hard it was to get democracy started in some ways"). He doesn't talk much about novels.


Hard to start, not so hard to end.

Laura Bush's love of reading befits her background as a former librarian and teacher. Biographers have recounted that on her first visit to the Bush family home in Kennebunkport, Maine, when her future mother-in-law asked what she did, Laura replied, "I read, I smoke, I admire."


I read, I smoke, I admire?

As opposed to her husbands,

"I pretend, I belittle, I invade."

No comments: