Sunday, October 29, 2006

Reading

I'm not hear to give detailed book reviews. I like to read, I like to write, I don't like to write about what I read. I'm just funny that way.

Nevertheless, I just finished "Imperial Life in the Emerald City" by Rajiv Chandrasekaran and am now about a quarter through "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks.

All I can say is, it is stunning to me how one individual in this nation can cast a vote for anything affiliated with George W. Bush. James Buchanon and Franklin Pierce are looking better and better.

If there is any justice in this world, a notion that the last decade or so has found me truly doubting (not a good trend in a lawyer, let me tell you) the Republicans would look 230 house seats and every Republican up for reelection. I cannot describe to you how deep the level of incompetence is that emerges when you read those two books back-to-back.

LBJ at least, at the end, found some decency within and took responsibility for his fuck ups -- even Nixon did to some extent. Bush never will. His hand will have to be forced, and it will not be forced by any Republicans. Calling its critics defeatest while they have taken every conceivable step to fight wars that should not be fought and then fuck them up as badly as possible, leaving everything worse then it was before is a level of consistent imbecility that will hopefully never again be matched.

No comments: