Saturday, February 03, 2007

Al Gore Redux

Around the time of the John Kerry debacle liberal relatives of mine who know that I am a closeted blogger profoundly interested in politics asked me who is our nominee in '08? My answer, of course: Al Gore. The answer wasn't based on much more than romantic thinking but there it was. And the thought of Al Gore most definitely does not scare me. We are in a different time and an entirely different place. There is great critical mass among the electorate for a populist with a a real message.

Now I'm not saying that our other choices thus far are bad; to the contrary, I love Obama and Edwards. I do not love Clinton for a host of reasons, most having to do with what she stands for, other than power. Her votes on important issues, notably the AUMF turned me off for good. There is nothing wrong with being an opportunistic politician who will vote against one's values simply to establish one's bona fides. Nope, that's what most of the lot does. Heck, even Edwards, Obama, Gore, etc. have done it. Clinton is simply a juggernaut, a machine that despite her smarts and political acumen just turns me off.

So Al Gore ain't running, but when he does throw-in, he is going to be who I back. And one other thing, I dare the idiots in the MSM and the right side of the blogosphere to try doing to him what was once done both to him and four years later to Kerry. Just try.

No comments: