Saturday, February 03, 2007

Albert A. Gore Jr.


Donna Brazile's comments at the DNC's winter meeting have prompted speculation that Al Gore will enter the 2008 Democratic primary race.

As a good American consumer citizen (damnit!), I'd love to see Al Gore's hat in the ring: more choice leads to better choice. But when I contemplate Al Gore running for president again, the pain I experience outweighs any hope I have for his success.

The thought of Al Gore in the hands of the Freak Show ...Of committing to the enormous undertaking that is running for president... Of allowing himself to want it again... Well, I feel almost protective of the man at this point.

But mental health professionals would probably call this a case of projection. They're probably right. So going forward, when my friends at The Den say "Gore/Obama '08!" or "Gore/Clark '08!" or "Gore/Insert Name Here '08!" I'm not going to wince anymore. I'm going to acknowledge that the pain and frustration I felt leading up to this and everything that came after is what the aforementioned shrinks would quite properly identify as "my shit" and let Al Gore deal with whatever shit he may -- or may not -- have to deal with.

No comments: