Monday, February 05, 2007

Prince Rocked

In the interests of fairness, I have seen Prince in concert a few times and own several Prince records. Yeah, records not CDs, not tapes, and I don't think Warner released anything on that old reliable -- 8 Track. For my money, Prince hit his stride early on. Controversy remains one of my favorite Prince records. I know everyone went for Purple Rain but give me rock-funk of Controversy any day.

Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way. Prince rocked the half time show. And in the rain. And with a dumb hat on (at least for a little while). Prince nailed it. He played great guitar solos, posed the rock poses, played the favorites to the masses and looked good while doing it.

This is the same guy who said he was going to take questions at the NFL press conference that announced him as the half time performer and he simply didn't take questions and rocked the house.

Now while I liked U2 at the Super-de-duper Bowl, Prince was better. He was better than Aerosmith, better than The Rolling Stones. Better than that whole Janet-breast-Timberlake thing. Prince sounds just as good live today as I think he ever has on stage. And let's think about his contemporaries, how do they sound today? How many of them are asked to perform at an event seen by that many millions of viewers?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Prince rocked. And I know its the cliche, but this time... its accurate.

No comments: