Thursday, January 20, 2005

Inaugural Abstinence

Because we know condoms won't work.

I am internets blogboy Champollion and this is my official protest. We're going to hear too mmuch blather about the majesty of the moment; how important this is for democracy--proof of peaceful transitions. A time of coming together and of healing. Evidence that in America we can set aside our differences and come together to acknowledge that the constitution is bigger than politics.

Count me out. No hoopla for me. For me and for my blog brothers this is no time for peaceful celebration and reflection. This is no time for false harmony. This is no time for "bipartisanship", whatever that means. I won't hear the President's address but I can assure you he will talk about bipartisanship and putting the good of the country over politics. As far as I'm concerned bipartisanship means playing footsy with Condi Rice, Al Gonzalez and Michael Chertoff. If that is what bipartisanship is, count me out.

This is a dark day, a day to mourn, to get the mess of November 2, 2004 behind us. This is a day to take a deep breath to prepare for the coming legislative and constitutional battles. It is the day that we shake off, finally, the cobwebs from the early November surprise and remind ourselves what it is about the man we loathe.

I won't be watching becasue I do not acknowledge Bush as a duly elected president--elected yes, but not fairly. Am I whining about losing fair and square? Nope. I am simply acknowledging fact. Bush was not duly elected becasue he was elected based on lies. Lies about weapons of mass destruction, terrorists, the economy, homeland security, his past, Iraq, the plans for war, and even about John Kerry.

He appealed to the lowest common denominator in so many of our fellow citizens and scared the rest. That is no duly elected leader whose hypocritical allegiance to values became an issue to divide us. Well he wanted our lowest common denominator and I, for one, am giving it to him. Just this one day. I'm sorry my sense of humor is on leave and my normal emotional state of optimism is nowhere to be found. This day I allow myself to mourn.

I abstain from the frivolity of the moment. I refuse to pretend that we don't have over 150,000 of our brothers, sister, neighbors, and friends in harms way. I refuse to pretend that those that celebrate this day are not doing so at the expense of freedom, liberty, civil rights, the lives of so many innocent people lost based on lies, and even good taste.

Let them have their inaugural celebration but let them have it without me.

No comments: