Friday, May 13, 2005

Why U2 Matters

Hello there fellow politics and music lovers,

I have returned after a long self and work imposed exile from the Rising Hegemon. I apologize for the delay but lets just thank those who employ me and allow me to do things like pay rent and buy food; always a good idea when you think about it.

Anyway, a few days ago (Tuesday to be precise) I saw U2 at the United Center in Chicago. First, props to Chicago -- the Midwestern city that is not a Midwestern city. I love Chicago. Amazing skyline, great blues, decent beer, and an amazing underground music scene that should be dominating the music charts these days (I am going to save that discussion for another post). Yes, everyone knows about Wilco (but hang me, I still prefer Summerteeth over recent efforts) but there is so much music going on in small clubs in this city that we should be looking there instead of the so-called "next big thingie" according to Billboard, Rolling Stone, iTunes, and all the rest.

Well, I have to tell you with my interest in independent music going back to the early 1980s when I was in college; I still went to see U2. And I have to admit something. I have never seen U2 before. Oh, I had chances to see them during the Unforgettable Fire and Josuha Tree tour -- and believe me; you cannot kick me any harder than I am kicking myself!

So, I finally had a chance to go see U2 and I thought that I would go take a look and see what I thought about the live show, spectacle, Bono being well... Bono. And I went to experience the whole juggernaut that is a live U2 show in 2005. And much to my surprise I liked it. Now, while I did pay $95 for a ticket and had pretty darn good seats, I swallowed my guilt at what could have been maybe eight shows for some good struggling bands and went.

The demographic was fascinating. There were kids who could not have been over ten, tweens, teens (some in their parents War t-shirts), 20-somethings, 30ers, and older all mixed in the crowd.

U2 started the show with City of Blinding Lights. In my humble opinion, a good track off of their latest CD. The show was being recorded for a live DVD and I think there were times when Bono played as much to the camera as the audience, but I figure that is Bono being Bono. The band played most of the standouts from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Origin of the Species, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, Love and Peace, All because of You) and reached back to albums I grew up on Boy, War, the Unforgettable Fire... yet I think it criminal that they overlook the much under appreciate October.

Bono even let down the guard of being the persona when he pulled a young boy up onto stage. He introduced himself as "my name is Paul, I just call myself Bono." Nice touch. The band bounced around their trademark stage and held the crowd. The band had tremendous energy throughout the night. Damn, if The Edge isn't a fine guitar player. He was simply captivating, and in my opinion, he was the star of the show not Bono. Not to mention that I have not been captivated by a bassist since I saw Rush many, many years ago. That Adam has some fine bass chops.

About halfway through the show the politics came out with pleas for the crowd to help push politicians into forgiving third world debt and an end to poverty. It was an odd feeling to see thousands of people pull out their cell phones, it has replaced the lighter as the means to make an emotional statement during a show. The band's performance of "One" after this call for political action was a very poignant moment of the show and the lyrics called attention to real sentiment to try to create some social change.

And that is why U2 still matters. Yeah, I know that you are going to tell me that such thinking shows my own ignorance but the fact that they would insert repeated social and political commentary into their show, in fact, the music was not secondary to a political message into became the message. It reminded me of a Billy Bragg show I had seen over a decade ago. The music is not simply entertaining, it can be, if you will let it, something that moves you to political action. I only hoped that most people got it and have acted upon it.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the show, purchased the $35 tour t-shirt, and thought damn I really should have seen them in 1985!

On an unrelated note:

I have recently learned that the great Mayflies USA from Raleigh, NC broke up sometime ago. Everyone needs to run out and get their CDs. Then listen to them and tell me that they aren't far superior to the whole recent wave of music being pushed by the music 'industry.' Rest in Peace Mayflies USA!

No comments: