Monday, July 04, 2005

Thinking 'bout Live8 part two

I don't reply to many things that I see on television or listen to on XM or Sirius... God forgive the radio programmers for they know not what they do... But this LIVE8 thing overall FUCKING SUCKS!!! And I have to admit that I was a big fan of Live Aid (love, love, LOVE the new DVD for that).

And that response is after acknowledging that at least there is an effort to try to do justice to the so-called developing third world. At least Bono, Geldof and all the others are trying in their pitiful rock star ways to do something. Can we at least acknowledge that; even if it is limited.

But in terms of Live8, I did not go on the net to watch it. And from what I have been reading, thank God I didn't. I woke up at 8am the other morning hoping that MTV would have recapped what happened twenty years ago... and NOTHING!!! They were playing another pathetic episode of the Ashton Kutcher self-referential BS called PUNK'D. What the fuck is that all about? Some idiot pulling practical jokes on someone. (No wonder I haven't watched MTV for years!!!) Boy do I have a lot of explanation points going here or what?!?!?!

Does every musical event require that MTV covers requires that cretinous vapid John Norris? Man I hated him when he covered on 120 minutes back in the day when it meant something. Where's the sarcastic yet musical knowledgable Dave Kendall. Damn, I miss him. Yet Norris... what the fuck is he still doing on MTV? Really, I want to know... who has he... you know... to kepp his job. He is God Damn Dorian Gray of the once Music Television, but who takes anything about this channel seriously?

And what's with cutting away from Green Day when they were just absolutely rocking the crowd? Hell, even Richard Ashcroft sitting in with Coldplay gets no respect. Fuck MTV Indeed...at least AOL broadcast the rocking London show (which is putting the others to shame, although Noel Gallagher says Live8 is pointless. He either couldn't get the closing slot over Sir Paul of Hairdye or he's right...or both.)

I wanted to see the highlights of the original LIVE AID. Watch Freddie Mercury probably putting on one of the best rock and roll performances ever staged. See a great duo between Bowie and Lennix, The Who were cool that day and perhaps other than the reunited Pink Floyd gave a great performance.

The reunited Floyd have not lost a fuckin beat. Yep, they looked like the real rock stars they are and remain. If Roger and Dave can patch up things, maybe we all can. Aw fudge, two more fuckin' MTV idiots over 'Comfortably Numb'... does nobody at MTV understand the musical significance of this? It gets worse though, they cut off the end of the song. I guess they do not understand the power of music at all.

U2 was a hip kind of new band twenty some yarns ago, Robert Plant asking the audience if there were any requests... during the reunited Led Zeppelin. We all know what that one request was, oh come on... you KNOW what that song was. If not, sad for you.

Although my friends The Who were great... really, they were, although did someone get the name of the God awful television director who cut to the DRUMMER (who was that?) each time Pete went to do a windmill. And come on, we DO want to see that damn it!

There was NOTHING on MTV like that. NOTHING!!! All there was were moronic announcers, tons of commercials, and thirty-second highlights of each band from hours before. What happens to MTV when they become a cartoon version of what little they were able to reach before. I guess you soldier on with your irrelevance right? Poor Jack Lack and Bob Pitman must be crying.

But I promised you some ideas about Live 8 and here they are:

I thoguth Joss Stone was amazing. I know the music press keeps pushing her but honestly, she is one of the most naturally expressive singers I've heard all the live long day.

When Madonna hit that long, high note late in "Ray Of Light" I literally had my fingers in my ears, it was so awful. Worse than when my daughter plays those adnoidal bands she favors of late. Poor M forgot she has no vocal range when she wrote that song... assuming that she wrote that song... As for her having had work done (you all know what that means), I don't really care at all, everyone's had work done. Doesn't mean much in terms of whether you can still sing and perform. Bottomline. She can't.

'Nuff said as Stan Lee would say.

No comments: