Sunday, February 28, 2010

Open Your Mind. Open Your Heart. Open Your Wallet.

To take inventory of the blogs I read every day, I need look only as far as my bookmarks bar. Here are the highlights: 538, The Awl, Booman, Balloon Juice, Dependable Renegade, Roger Ebert, Naked Capitalism, Ritholtz, Gawker, Taibbi, Phila, Ta-Nahesi Coates, Josh Marshall, and d r i f t g l a s s

About that last one. 

I'll admit it.  Sometimes I read d r i f t g l a s s and become alarmed.  I don't always get all the sci-fi references and some of his Photoshopping freaks me out to the point of needing brain bleach, but I am never anything less than impressed by the man's passion, perspective, and patented ability to turn a phrase.  I think he's doing some of his best work of late, especially his posts that relate to "Da Mare" a/k/a Little Ritchie Daley, who sold his soul long before he sold Chicago's parking meters. 

The other day I noticed that The New York Times has figured out a way to get writers to write for free and it irritated me.  It's bad enough that Arianna and her ilk have sold the "Write for the glory of writing for Arianna" schtick so to many folks, but when Pinch & Co. get up to it, it's a brand new day, and not in a good way.  Writers ought to get paid for their labors, same as publishers get paid for playing wingman to a coterie of foppish neocon shitbags duping a country into a war, railroading presidents and scientistswithholding crucial stories at the behest of the White House, and making crappy business decisions.
  
Which brings me to my point:  d r i f t g l a s s is having a fundraiser.  If you like his work and you've got a few bucks to spare, click on over there and show him a little love for his labors.  I can offer you a money-back guarantee that your hard-earned cash won't go to gin up any wars.  

No comments: