Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday AM 10

  1. Book recommendation for Rudy Giuliani's soon-to-be incarcerated best budy, Bernie Kerik.  I've mentioned You Got Nothing Coming before, but it's worth another shout-out because it really is good.  Bernie:  you got something coming and it ain't nothing nice.  
  2. If you haven't overdosed on Bernie/Rudy schadenfreude yet, read gossip fossil Cindy Adam's post-sentencing interview with Bernie.
  3. On Thursday night, I headed over to Madison Square Garden to see Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck in a "Together and Apart" show.  Beck played a set, Clapton played a set, and then they played a set together.  Here are the set lists for those who are interested, and yes, they really did play "Moon River" and it was great.  The concert-goers ranged in age from sixteen to about seventy, which I found rather cheerful.  The kids came out to see the guitar gods and the old folks came out to see, well, the guitar gods.    
  4. Roger Ebert put up a worthwhile follow-up post to that Esquire interview I mentioned the other night.  
  5. Speaking of Chicagoans, if you're one and looking for a gig, (little) Mayor Daley is advertising for aldermen on the internets
  6. Even more Chicagoans: are you listening to the driftglass/blue gal podcasts?
  7. Today is obviously Chicago Day: the library tells me that, The Adventures of Auggie March, which I reserved a few weeks back, has arrived. (BTW, I wonder what Hitchens has to say in that Auggie intro?  Hitchens' review of Wolf Hall has made me want to read that, too.  Look at what he says about Orwell's 1984 at that link.  Tell me what you think.)
  8. As a follow-up to The Dark Heart of Italy I need to see Videocracy.
  9. Massachusetts:  thanks for sending this buffoon to the greatest deliberative body in the world. /rolls eyes  
  10. Somewhere, William F. Buckley is smiling


No comments: