Saturday, February 05, 2005

Pig of the Day

Ask Dr. Attaturk questions will be coming (I'm a bit busy this morning) but here is a lovely story of Right-Wing Republican Love.

It was fairly well-known last fall that the worst possible Republican Senate Candidate in the history of Illinois, Alan Keyes, while denouncing Dick Cheney's daughters lifestyle, had a daughter that was a lesbian working for him on his staff. However, she had not come "out" to the extent that Mary Cheney had [which I guess means that she publicly acknowledged it].

Keyes is a moron, let's get that front and center. For twenty years his novelty has been, "I'm Black and I'm crazy" and many conservatives, thinking that any black guy with a Ph.D and without gang colors will sway African-Americans on that point alone have thrown him in as a candidate. Such is the perception of Republicans on the black community. It takes an idiot to repeatedly tout an idiot.

Well, ever optimistic Washington Redskins fan and progressive Blogger Oliver Willis has discovered this little piece of "fathering" from Keyes:

I tried to love you and I failed...

Well, it's happened. Finally and officially.

A couple days ago I got my official two-week warning that I have to be out of this apartment; so finally for real I'm getting cut off. I got no severance or anything like that from my sudden termination of employment (don't I have freedom of speech? the right to protest Bush without losing my job? Hehe... most people would think that working under a parent would be security but for me it's quite the opposite.) and so I definitely don't have anywhere near enough cash to find a new apartment; not even one room rented from someone anywhere. I've been searching craigslist but even places where I'd have enough to pay the first month's rent on some room I never have enough for the deposit as well, so so far I've had no luck at all finding a new home, since shelter requires money. Sad boo.

After all the arguments and tension over the years, I always hoped it would never actually get to this point, although I suppose given our vastly divergent political beliefs it was inevitable.

My A n j u l s say no, no, it was not inevitable at all and this should never have happened. They say that parents have some modicum of responsibility to their kids - at least so far as making sure they are not homeless and starving - especially if their kids have done nothing aside from thinking for themselves. They say that different political beliefs should not lead to parents kicking kids out of the house. They say most parents would be thrilled to have a child who doesn't smoke, have sex, do drugs, hardly drinks; more thrilled to have a child who additionally does well in school, is active on all sorts of extracurriculars, gets good grades, gets into the Ivy League; even more thrilled to have a child who on top of that goes regularly to church, spends free time mentoring kids and serving food to homeless people; even more thrilled to have a child to on top of that is not only politically aware but actively going out to try and fight for the causes she believes in, considering the political apathy of most teenagers. They say that if all the above didn't cause parents to be thanking God every day for the child they were blessed with, that they certainly would be after the child puts off college for a year (wait, no, for ANOTHER year, since said child already deferred one year to go teach in India) to go support her father in his work. They say that I'm a good daughter, that I changed around my whole plans just because I thought it would be nicer for my dad if after the end of working all the time on the campaign trail he could come back to someone who loves him rather than an empty house. They say that it should be a source of pride, not of shame, for my parents that I'm so passionate about my beliefs, and work for what I believe in; even if they are not the beliefs my parents hold. They say that the only possible cause for shame anywhere in the whole situation is in the fact that after all this I am being cut off, jobless, soon to be homeless, and that although I have intelligence and motivation I won't be able to go to Brown after all because I have no money.

So my Anjuls say.

My parents say otherwise.


In order to sell himself as Mr. Family Man, Keyes tolerated her as long as she was quiet, the moment she wasn't?

He disowns his kid.

Ass.

Dick Cheney is hardly my favorite person, and he is dangerously greedy, but even he won't turn his back on his kid, though I hope he has to dwell on the other a-holes he enables.

No comments: