Friday, February 11, 2005

Well, I once saw Brit Hume swallow a Funnel Cake whole!

Nothing like this ever happens to Atta J. Turk, as we experience, Josh Marshall's brush with banality:
Given all these questions about credentialing and pseudonyms, I'm also curious how 'Gannon' was credentialed at the Republican National Convention, though the RNC certainly has every right to credential whomever they choose, with whatever name they want to go by.

As fate would have it, I sat next to him in the press stands during President Bush's convention speech last September.

I didn't know who he was; he didn't know who I was. And that was probably a good thing all around. (I only found out his story when I looked him up later on the web, after what ended up happening; my recollection is that he gave me his card.) But that didn't stop it from being a surreal experience. Through some sort of double karmic inversion, the women sitting to my left -- 'Gannon', appropriately enough, was on my right ... God not only has a sense of humor, it seems; he is also well-organized -- turned out to be one of the protestors in the hall who lept to her feet mid-speech, tossed on a pink slip and began denouncing the president for about 1.32 seconds before being manhandled out of hall by some security guard who seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

I wrote about it that evening. The 'journalist' mentioned briefly at the end of the post is 'Gannon'.


And what was written at that time?

An unassuming women had been sitting on our press row for the couple hours prior to the speech. And about half way through out of the corner of my eye I saw a plainclothes police officer lunge in our direction. I looked back to see the woman who -- without my having noticed -- had tossed on a pink slip over her dress and I guess was about to start some sort of chant or statement.

He grabbed her; there was a brief commotion. Other officers rushed in our direction. And then before I could even figure out what was going on, she was gone.

There are some more details to the story, including the journalist sitting next to me, who started yelling at the woman -- or perhaps better to say, aggressively scolding her -- as she was dragged off. But I'll leave that till tomorrow
.

No comments: