Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I tell ya' the bigotry is thick out there today

And now the wisdom of Mona Charon:

Interpreter [Mona Charen]

Last week I attended a concert at the Kennedy Center and saw something I'd never seen before — an interpreter for the deaf stage right. Is there some rational explanation for this that I'm missing?
Posted at 7:52 AM


Yeah, Mona, what you are missing, aside from the "decency" gene, is that the rest of us don't think deaf people should stay locked away from the rest of the fucking world.

Jeebus!

UPDATE: And like Ann Althouse, if at first you look like a moron, show those who question you that you can really dig that hole deeper...

From a Reader [Mona Charen]

I am the only hearing member in my family, i.e. my mother, father and two brothers are deaf.
The deaf can feel the music, the interpreter simply signs the words. Does that answer
your question?

Chuck Drolsbaugh


If you say so. Look, I am sympathetic to anyone who has to endure a disability. It's heartbreaking. Think of poor Beethoven. But I just cannot imagine that feeling the vibrations of music is worth the price of admission.


Look, it is quite simple, IF a deaf person wants to go to a performance, that is their goddamned right, and if the theatre accommodates them, terrific. If you are distracted by some person in the far corner of the stage, that is your fucking problem, NOT THEIRS!

No comments: