Saturday, October 16, 2004

My thought on Stewart on Crossfire

What a well-deserved beating he administered to the media, I saw a bit-torrent of his appearance and man-oh-man was it amazing.

He made it clear to everyone but the two dopes interviewing him that "The Daily Show" is a comedy that parodies the broadcast newsmedia far more than it parodies politics in general.

And Stewart TRULY detests Tucker Carlson as a smarmy, unctuous cretin. Carlson really gets smacked around, and not in a comedy sense. Watch the video available in cajillions of places now and you'll see. The statements directed at Carlson were not made as jokes, but as direct, stunning, indictments of him as both a hack and a the smarmy, cartoon-ass, he portrays on television.

It is theatre, Carlson knows very well what a bunch of lying shits the Bush Administration is comprised of; he's admitted it in moments of candor, he's even admitted that Crossfire is mostly an act, yet there he is trying to portray it as real journalism. Stewart would have none of it.

Stewart truly finds Carlson contemptible. And more power to him. Examples, and these were NOT said as jokes:

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.


...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.


...

CARLSON: What's it like to have dinner with you? It must be excruciating. Do you like lecture people like this or do you come over to their house and sit and lecture them; they're not doing the right thing, that they're missing their opportunities, evading their responsibilities?

STEWART: If I think they are.

CARLSON: I wouldn't want to eat with you, man. That's horrible.

STEWART: I know. And you won't.


...

CARLSON: Welcome back to CROSSFIRE.

We're talking to Jon Stewart, who was just lecturing us on our moral inferiority.

Jon, you're bumming us out. Tell us, what do you think about the Bill O'Reilly vibrator story?

STEWART: I'm sorry. I don't.

CARLSON: Oh, OK.

STEWART: What do you think?

BEGALA: Let me change the subject.

STEWART: Where's your moral outrage on this?

CARLSON: I don't have any.

STEWART: I know.


...

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion.

CARLSON: OK, up next, Jon Stewart goes one on one with his fans...

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.



No comments: