Monday, February 14, 2005

I know Jack-shite about Music

I don't know what is hip and what isn't. My knowledge of popular music pretty much ends with the end of the British Invasion era. Ask me about Pete Townshend or Ray Davies I might be able to get something right.

However, even I know that historically this makes me more of an expert on rock music than the Grammys. I am pretty sure that the Who and the Kinks never won a Grammy. "Who's Next" probably lost out to the Archies or something, hell probably wasn't even nominated.

Anyhoo, it stands as a surprise to me then that, as Digby points out that a song with these lyrics wins a Grammy.

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new media.
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mindfuck America.
...

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia.

...
Don't wanna be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information nation of hysteria.
It's going out to idiot America.


Of course, the media is about as clueless as the Grammys (or perhaps just more mendacious) as no mention of Green Day's left-wing populism is mentioned.

No comments: