Now that same sex marriage is legal in New York, there's no doubt that some of the questions/comments I've had to put up with as a singleton for years will be coming your way. See a list of examples below (Hegemaniacs: add yours in comments.) The ones in bold are the ones that well-meaning people have directed at me over the years.
I suggest practicing your best fake-smile in anticipation.
- When are you gonna get MAR-RIED?
- I just want to see you settled.
- Are you EVER gonna get MAR-RIED?
- What are you waiting for?
- All I want is a grandchild. Is that so much to ask?
- Do you want to break your mother's heart?
- You know what he's/she's thinking? "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?," that's what he's/she's thinking!
- You're not getting any younger, you know.
- If he/she is not marrying you after two years, he/she is not marrying you.
- I just want you to be happy. (h/t watertiger)
- It's as easy to fall in love with a rich man/woman as it is to fall in love with a poor man/woman.
- Do you want your mother to die before she sees you married? (h/t watertiger)
- If you're good-for-nothing brother can get divorced, then so can you! (h/t watertiger)
- Your father and I were married? What? It's too good for you?
- I just want the best for you.
- If you don't hurry up, all of the good ones will be taken.
If you don't watch out, you're going to wind up like your cousin Maryanne.*
*Died alone in her apartment at age of forty-five.
ASIDE: What the HELL is wrong with Blogger's formatting?!?!??!