Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Watching Faux News

Well, today while exercising at my area YMCA, one of the patrons asked to have one of the television sets put on the Fox "news" channel. No, normally just thinking about Faux News is enough to make me ill but I thought, "what the heck, no problem, I will just ignore it." But wouldn't you know right off the bat, they were talking about the vice presidential debate.

I noticed something odd. In a roughly three minute long report, the person doing the reporting Shep Smith, kept referring to vice president Cheney and John Edwards. He used the word vice president eleven times during the report. What really struck me was that not once did Smith refer to Edwards as Senator Edwards. In fact, the scroll at the bottom of the page referred to 'Vice President Cheney V John Edwards."

I found this interesting. Was this some kind of weird right wing attempt to cast Edwards in an unfavorable light by refusing to acknowledge that he was elected to the senate? What could possibly be gained by avoiding the senator designation? Attack on his legitimacy? Isn't this bizarrely low? Is this some kind of pandering to the ignorami who watch Faux news on a regular basis. Would the regular viewers even notice the difference.

Is it that Faux news is already trying to bias their audience, gosh imagine that!

What do you all think?

No comments: