Monday, October 31, 2005

As I was saying earlier...

The DoD has estimated 26,000 deaths -- "due to insurgents" buried in a report. However, I raised questions about just which deaths were actually being reported, and pointed out that the United States had a habit of using disproportionate overwhelming force.

Well, it did not take long for the latest exhibit of this practice to raise its head:

Germany's dpa news agency, quoting hospital officials in the western Iraqi city of Qaim, says at least 26 Iraqi civilians -- including women and children were killed in those strikes. Those figures could not be independently confirmed.


I understand the theory behind "overwhelming force" but I cannot for the life of me, understand its beneficial uses in fighting an insurgency. I cannot imagine anything more counterproductive to trying to win "hearts & minds". Nevertheless it has been used and relied upon repeatedly.

No comments: