Wednesday, December 08, 2010

You stay classy

Elizabeth Edwards death was, of course, sad. She'd endured one hell of a lot in the last few years, from losing a teen-aged son, to fighting cancer to a draw, to her husband's very public infidelity, to the renewed battle against the Big C that took her life before she reached much over 60.

In regard to her son's death more than a decade ago she had made peace with her faith:

You've kept God out of the public discussion of your situation. Why?

I had to think about a God who would not save my son. Wade was—and I have lots of evidence; it's not just his mother saying it—a gentle and good boy. He reached out to people who were misfits and outcasts all the time. He could not stand for people to say nasty things about other people; he just didn't want it. For a 16-year-old boy, he was really extraordinary in this regard. I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. You'd think that if God was going to protect somebody, he'd protect that boy. But not only did he not protect him, the wind blew him from the road. The hand of God blew him from the road. So I had to think, "What kind of God do I have that doesn't intervene—in fact, may even participate—in the death of this good boy?" I talk about it in the book, that I had to accept that my God was a God who promised enlightenment and salvation. And that's all. Didn't promise us protection. I've had to come to grips with a God that fits my own experience, which is, my God could not be offering protection and not have protected my boy.


It's easy for people like me who are not religious when terrible shit happens, in that I don't have to try to apologize for some sky-Jesus and rationalize it.

But such mature rationalizations of faith as made by Mrs. Edwards are just not good enough for a right-wing idiots. Who think by not mentioning the Almighty specifically and thanking him for the Cancer that Elizabeth Edwards is the Stevie Johnson of now deceased people.

Real Classy fella.

7 comments:

DanF said...

We should be on our hands and knees thanking god every day for what we have. In fact, we should do it FIVE times a day. And we should clean our face and hands before doing so. And perhaps we should have a special prayer rug or mat we can lay down on the ground for prayer. And maybe we should all face Jerusalem or something when we do it outta respect. Allah Akbar, bitches.

TheOaf said...

Knowing first hand the pain of losing a child myself, I can tell you that Elizabeth expresses my wife's version of faith extremely elegantly. After being angry with a God I believed in, I've become much more agnostic. I don't know if there is a God, but it doesn't really matter. We should do good things for each other and take care of each other because we are social, interdependent creatures. Prayer, if offered humbly, is an expression of want for a common good and can help direct positive action.

Malaclypse said...

I assume Donalde will block my post:

Matthew 6:

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Oblio's Cap said...

Their sect of Xtianity doesn't believe in a Golden Rule.

Who Would Jesus Badmouth?

Having been to the Aqua Feline's place already and sseing her entry on Liz'a death inspires me:

Cover her face. Mine eyes dazzle. She died young

pansypoo said...

life is not fair.

MD said...

"Sigh" ...(heavily) - That's the most this old man will comment,anymore, when I hear this absurd, cocksured inanity from these insensitive twits. If they think that they will get a closer pew to their lord, in their afterlife, if they denegrade other's faiths here on earth. So be it...let it be written and let it be done.

Raoul Paste said...

We should do good things for each other and take care of each other because we are social, interdependent creatures. Prayer, if offered humbly, is an expression of want for a common good and can help direct positive action.

You don't sound like an Oaf to me. Quite the opposite.