Thursday, November 03, 2005

Might makes right

I had some fun with the Podhoretz analysis below.

He's probably right, however, the source is most likely McClellan who got hung out to dry by Rove, who flat out lied to him and made McSpokesman look like a fool -- and one that gets beaten up everyday.

Mark Kleiman has an excellent post on this.

But Podhoretz goes on to say that, if an at-best-moderately-competent McClellan can't get along with a political genius like Rove, it's obviously McClellan who ought to go. That's the assertion that strikes me as morally idiotic.

McClellan is angry at Rove because Rove flat-out lied to McClellan and sent him out to retail that lie, with his personal credibility behind it, to the White House press corps and, through them, the American people. Rove had no obligation to tell McClellan the truth about what he must have suspected might be felonious activity, but he could have said, "Scott, I don't know about you, but I've got more important things to talk about than who did or didn't leak the name of someone whose employment might or might not have been classified." Rove chose, instead, to lie, and to do McClellan enormous professional damage in the process.

So to discuss the quarrel between Rove and McClellan as if it were merely a personal spat, to be resolved by dumping whichever of the disputants is less valuable to the organization, is to leave out entirely the difference between right and wrong.


Podhoretz in other words is just about pure "power politics" not about what is right and what is wrong.

McClellan is in the position he is in because Rove fucked him. Rove is clearly morally bankrupt and made McClellan's life even more hellish than it needed to be. Although, I think Scotty would probably have managed to fuck up an announcement on V-E Day.

However, I'd go one step further.

If I were McClellan (and of course I'm not -- I'm far less sweaty for one thing) I'd resign.

And then I'd go out and fuck with Karl big time.

I'd give interview after interview about how Rove lied to me; how he lied to Bush; and the various scummy things he has done over the years.

...of course, first I'd ring up Mr. Fitzgerald to see if he wants to know anything in particular.

So there's your best option Scotty, you might want to think about it.

No comments: