Sunday, April 01, 2007

In Which Res Requests a Reality Check

This heathen just payed a Sunday morning visit to the salon where I witnessed something I thought weird. I'm curious to hear what you think.

Upon entering at what I thought a fairly ungodly hour I discovered two early-40-ish bourgeoise moms enjoying bagels and orange juice in the company of five six-ish-year-old girls. I couldn't figure out what all these little kids were doing at the salon until five of the middle-aged Polish and Ukranian women that work there approached the women and girls and said, "We're ready."

The little girls jumped up, ran across the room, and clambered into the pedicure chairs, where the women began to wash their feet as they giggled and shrieked.

So, the reality check... When did pedicures become appropriate for children? Am I completely out of it? Am I prude? Am I old-fashioned? Or is this totally and utterly fucked?

I got my first pedicure at about age thirty. I would probably have gotten one earlier, but pedicures can be pricey and I hadn't yet reached a point in my financial life where a pedicure could be a regular treat. (I did -- and still do -- view a salon pedicure as a treat. After all, I can give myself a fairly decent pedicure at home for a fraction of the cost. But I digress...)

In any case, have little kids suddenly developed grungy feet that require this sort of maintenance? When did little kids start getting "spa treatments" (which is what I heard one of the moms call it)? (And by the way, I also heard one of the moms say that while this was little Madison or Taylor or Brearley's first pedicure, that she'd had many, many manicures already). Am I getting old -- or does this fall into the category of sexualizing little kids?

Give me a reality check. I can take it if I am wrong.

No comments: