Thursday, June 09, 2005

Oh hell

I was wondering when this was going to happen. I've been tagged to do this by DES and well, why not.

1. Number of books you own: It must be a few thousand, but perhaps the more precise "a lot" will do.

2. Last book bought: Ah...gee, you know, sadly I haven't bought a book in two months. I think I went to the Half-Priced Store, bought the three-volume Gibbon's, 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' and Barzun's 'From Dawn to Decadence'

3. Last book I read: I just finished re-reading 'No Ordinary Time' about FDR & Eleanor Roosevelt during WWII by Goodwin, it struck my fancy. I normally am reading a few books at a time. I'm also reading Beevor's "Stalingrad", and Werth's "Russia at War"; Martin Gilbert's one volume "World War One"; and Cantor's "In the Wake of the Plague" and another book my sister gave me simply called "Plague". There are others, but believe it or not all these books fit into the book I may someday actually sit down and finish.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me: I'm going to cheat a bit and pick series, also I know I'm missing something but this is simply stream of consciousness here and now.

1. Wil & Ariel Durant's Story of Western Civilization
2. Gibbon's Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire
3. The Rise of the West by William McNeill
4. The LBJ Series by Caro
5. Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson

No comments: