Saturday, January 28, 2006

My own review of Brokeback Mountain

Saw it this afternoon. Champollion is right, it's a downer.

But boy is it a well-made, well-crafted, emotionally reasonant film. It's been a great year for male leading roles and Heath Ledger is no different, he'll get an Oscar nomination easy, as will his co-star Jake I'm-too-lazy-to-look-up-his-name-in-hall. Ang Lee is such a gifted director, he can handle virtually every kind of film -- except comic book movies.

My resistance to seeing it was that my least favorite movie is the gratuitous violence movie. For example, you could not pay me to see "Hostel". But close behind it is the tragic-romance. As a single man, I truly feel I paid my debt to see such movies when I saw "Terms of Endearment" many years ago.

Nevertheless, a wonderful movie - but it is a downer.

No comments: