Thursday, March 16, 2006

More Music Snobbery... The New? Cars

For anyone that is not interested in music snoobery and all around criticism of music, the New Cars featuring Todd Rundgren (Hello its me indeed) played the Tonight Show the other evening (Tuesday) and it was... well, fucking awful! Of course, am I alone in thinking that the Leno farce is trying hard to appeal to everyone? First The New Cars and then Rob Zombie (Wednesday)? Sorry, I am not the postmodern fan I used to be.

But to show that I am not supremely biased here is a link to their new music video.

It is weird and not right hearing Todd Rundgren trying to sing like some sort of Ocasek/Orr lovechild. And the lyrics aren't that spiffy, either. And some of you are going to say that you disagree with me. Fine. I can even see how a new wave music lover might like the track "Not Tonight." That song is straight out of the Playtone catalog because ... it's catchy. I have a feeling that if this was a new group of unknowns from say, Jersey City some people would be raving and ranting about how retro and cool this band is, but they would be wrong.

And check out Ticketmaster for the pricing on the Blondie/New Cars shows. A little insane, eh?

Speaking of Mr. Rundgren... any Mark Mallman fans among the Hegemonians? He is based in Minneapolis. While I ahve only heard a few songs but plan on catching him live when I am able. To my ears, the song "Hardcore Romantics" evokes Todd Rundgren vocally but with a slightly different musical, yet still very pop, style. I think it a very cool song. If you're curious, the song is downloadable at the SxSW site.

No comments: