Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'll be celebrating

Because my actual real-life business is a sole proprietorship ...and I'm a moron ... every year I pay my taxes in one-big-ass-ol'-chunk. Again, I admit, this is an imbecilic way to pay your taxes, but since I don't drink, gamble, or engage in all the occasionally awesome vices beyond really boring ones, it gives me an element of reckless danger that goes beyond the run-of-the-mill well-earned heart disease.

And it also meant that yesterday I wrote myself a bigass check so I could, in turn, write the IRS and the State of Iowa a few smaller checks that were big in and of themselves.

It's a strange feeling to write yourself a check well into the five-figures (it's probably really awesome if you know it isn't going right out the door to someone else). But still, at least I can pay them, which is always a relief, and a feeling of contributing, but especially relief.

I like to blow the check up to look like a really big fake check and then pose with someone as they shake my hand and I have some fake Stephen Colbert-like grin on my face (as opposed to somewhere else). I pretend I'm celebrating winning a golf tournament (well, if it was 1971 or something, five figure checks now are for people who barely made the cut).

Just a picture into my rather banal life.

10 comments:

StonyPillow said...

You mean you're not one of the "47 percent" who are freeloaders?

res ipsa loquitur said...

Don't you get dinged a penalty for not paying quarterly estimates?

DanF said...

Don't you get dinged a penalty for not paying quarterly estimates?

Let's not get too hasty. Paying his quarterly taxes on time would lead to lower anxiety which might just let Attaturk sleep better at night, and just where would that leave us each morning? Hmmm?

Expat said...

Supposedly the best way to avoid income taxes

is to avoid income.

heydave said...

Your sadly lacking list of vices should trigger an alarm of a wasted life, buddy-o.

Attaturk said...

I should say, I do drink, just not much and never to excess, like a lot of people had a gigantic bender in my 20s and said I'm not doing this EVER again...only I meant it. A beer or glass of wine here and there.

But I find gambling dull and don't do it at all.

Joe Blow said...

If he wasn't getting fined for missing his quarterly payments... he will now!!

I don't think it matters that you only pay yourself at the end of the year... if you make 50k the first quarter and lose 100k the next three. they still want the tax on the 50 and then you get it refunded to you when you file the loss.

pansypoo said...

less income doesn't mean you don't have to figure out tax form gobbidilly gook.

acorvid said...

Not really addressing your post, but this seems as good a place as any to say that I very much appreciate your blog, and almost never fail to take something from my daily visits. Thank you!

AKjah said...

I have not had a bank account for 20 years. When i cash a chech the teller asks me if i want to open an account. I politely say that i wont have anything at the end of the day. They nod and give me my thousands in cash. I am lucky where i live that i can do this but thats what is going on and that others have to pay fees for doing what i do is not right. So banks just soak people for fees and we just get on as best we can.
Cash is the way to go if you live in a small community.