Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Oh, now I know why this program is so "LIMITED"

From the NY Times -- who knows how much things have grown in the year they've been sitting on this:

But in at least one instance, someone using an international cellphone was thought to be outside the United States when in fact both people in the conversation were in the country. Officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the program remains classified, would not discuss the number of accidental intercepts, but the total is thought to represent a very small fraction of the total number of wiretaps that Mr. Bush has authorized without getting warrants. In all, officials say the program has been used to eavesdrop on as many as 500 people at any one time, with the total number of people reaching perhaps into the thousands in the last three years.



As many as 500...AT A TIME?

To paraphrase Atrios, should I be offended, or should I be shitting my pants?

I think I've just managed both. Excuse me.

No comments: