Monday, January 26, 2009

Yep

Dick Cavett in the NY Times,

I felt bad when George Bush was booed.

But only briefly. My sympathy for that man has a half-life of about four seconds.

There was a surprising number of outpourings of sympathy for his having to sit there and, as it was too-often described, “take it on the chin.” Was there ever a chin more deserving of taking it?

“You have to feel sorry for him,” someone cooed. “No. You do not!” I shouted at the screen. I know he “tried” and he “did what he thought was right.” But so does the incompetent surgeon.

What does that excuse?

His brief discomfort “sitting there” can’t have been less endurable than the discomfort of the young soldier describing on the news how he watched helplessly as his gut-shot buddy bled to death on the sands the smirking Texan sent him to.


Except I didn't feel bad for one nanosecond. I'd have felt bad if an attempt to make George Bush uncomfortable wasn't made.

(Fez tip to Eli)

1 comment:

purple suit said...

I'm glad to read your entire post i like your thoughts.