Friday, October 14, 2005

Friday Miscellaneous Lifeform Blogging

I caught you a delicious bass.


Attaturk is not what you would call "passable" at fishing.

Don't be fooled by my nordic heritage and solid anonymous looks, 'tis true, I'm bad at fishing. I caught one fish in my life, a pathetic perch while ice fishing on one of Minnesota's 12,000 plus lakes. But that was so long ago, the Vikings hadn't even lost four Super Bowls.

Growing up in the rural midwest you learn all sorts of fishing techniques. In the winter, small shacks dot the landscape of the Minnesota lakes, looking like an outhouse metropolis. In the summer hundreds of small boats head out with their minnows (all small rural convenience stores sell minnows, not to mention the occasional bait shop). But the most ludicrous were the people I knew who, yes it is true, took handguns out to creeks and shot at fish; and on one occassion, cherry bombing for carp.

Yes, Minnesotans. Don't let their apparent stoicism fool you, underneath lurks the same brand of generic american idiot we all know and love tolerate.

No comments: