Thursday, July 06, 2006

Have A Great Birthday Mr. President!

I'm sure the Iraqi people join all Americans the world over (after all, who doesn't want to be just like us!) in giving thanks on this day that you were born, had the courage to take the war to the terrorists, and will bring justice, American style, to the heathens.

Oops. Maybe I spoke too soon--things not going so well in Iraq. Oh well, it never is your fault anyway. It just isn't supposed to happen that way, at least not in the You-nita States of Murica we all know and love.

"Never in my mind could I have imagined such a gruesome sight," Abu Firas Janabi said of the day in March when his cousin, Fakhriya Taha Muhsen; her husband, Kasim Hamza Rasheed; and their two daughters were slain and their farmhouse set ablaze.

"Kasim's corpse was in the corner of the room, and his head was smashed into pieces," he said. The 5-year-old daughter, Hadel, was beside her father, and Janabi said he could see that Fakhriya's arms had been broken.

In another room, he found 15-year-old Abeer, naked and burned, with her head smashed in "by a concrete block or a piece of iron."

"There were burns from the bottom of her stomach to the end of her body, except for her feet," he said.

"I did not believe what I was seeing. I tried to fool myself into believing I was in a dream. But the problem was that we were not dreaming. We put a piece of cloth over her body. Then I left the house together with my wife."

At least four American soldiers from a nearby checkpoint are the prime suspects. The case, which includes the alleged rape of the older daughter, has caused a firestorm in the United States and Iraq. And the soldiers, including one charged Monday with rape and murder, have become lurid symbols of the American military at its worst.


Hope you enjoy it.

No comments: