Friday, April 13, 2012

I know this is horribly unfair

Being in Iowa it is not uncommon to hear of people traveling to "Bible-Belt Vegas" i.e. Branson. I was once asked whether I wanted to ever go there. I know this is liberal elitism (i.e. good taste) and it is to the extent any elitism is justified when one is well entrenched within the bottom 99 percent of Des Moines, Iowa of all places, but I responded:
"I don't really like NASCAR, I don't really like Country music and I don't like Klan rallies, why would I go to a place that charges you to combine all three?"

8 comments:

JDM said...

Less Booth Tarkington's "Penrod," more Sinclair Lewis' Zenith. It can't happen here, so don't worry about it.

jimmiraybob said...

[faux Russian accent]

In Russia we don't have NASCAR, country music or Klan rallies. OK, maybe a little country music. [Yuk snort]

You like Russia joke? Come Branson see Yakov.

- Yakov Smirnoff

Privatize the Profits! Socialize the Costs! said...

That reminds me of the bumpersticker I'd love to put on my car, if I only had the nerve...

Gun fetish? Check.
Fetus fetish? Check.
Tax fetish? Check.
Old Testament fetish? Check.

Congratulations! You're a lunatic!

DrDick said...

I actually like country music, but they don't actually play any of that at Branson, so we are in complete agreement.

Anonymous said...

Big wind in Branson. Some blame climate change. Don't you believe it. With that much bullshit in one place methane explosions are inevitable.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/02/tornado-like-storms-slam-branson-mo-midwest/

One thing we can be sure of, the something for nothing conservatives are demanding federal aid.

WallytheWineGuy said...

Go east, young man. No one in Iowa City ever even thinks about Branson.

Anonymous said...

The one place on the planet where people actually think Yakov Smirnoff is funny in a non-sarcastic way.

"Huh huh huh yeah Russia sucks! Go Reagan! Murka numbur wun!"

pansypoo said...

drove thru that town on way to miami. what a sad crappy place.