Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stephen Colbert is awesome

Read his whole speech at the Time 100 dinner. An excerpt:
Of course, all of us should be honored to be listed on the TIME 100 alongside the two men who will be slugging it out in the fall: President Obama, and the man who would defeat him, David Koch.

Give it up everybody. David Koch.

Little known fact -- David, nice to see you again, sir. Little known fact, David's brother Charles Koch is actually even more influential. Charles pledged $40 million to defeat President Obama, David only $20 million. That's kind of cheap, Dave. Sure, he's all for buying the elections, but when the bill for democracy comes up, Dave's always in the men's room. I'm sorry, I must have left Wisconsin in my other coat.

I was particularly excited to meet David Koch earlier tonight because I have a Super PAC, Colbert Super PAC, and I am -- thank you, thank you -- and I am happy to announce Mr. Koch has pledged $5 million to my Super PAC. And the great thing is, thanks to federal election law, there's no way for you to ever know whether that's a joke.

By the way, if David Koch likes his waiter tonight, he will be your next congressman....

But perhaps the most influential person on the list is here, Sara Blakely. The inventor of the Spanx. Give it up.

No one, no one has done more to control women's bodies, except maybe Cardinal Dolan. Cardinal, congratulations, sir, you are afeminist icon.

5 comments:

merlallen said...

They didn't learn their lesson after the WH Correspondent's dinner?

Raoul Paste said...

Do read it all; it doesn't get any better than this. If Colbert had a broad enough audience, talk radio would wither and die.

Anonymous said...

Truthiness hurts!

pansypoo said...

in the words of sulu, OH MY! ooh, lift up the rocks! OMG i love colbert.

Bukko Boomeranger said...

Good speech, not quite as wicked as the one he did at White House Correspondents' Suck-up, but I'm glad to have read it. I was surprised at the names of many of the people mentioned -- I don't know squat about who they are. Kristen Wiig? She's influential? I'm no dummy -- I keep up on the news and economics via the 'Net like nobody else I know. But the latest fads in pop culture do not count as "influential" in my mind. That's why I never read "Time" (or "Newsweek." Is it still in business? If so, what are they calling it these days?) If I want fluffy-puffy cheez-crap, I'll hit HuffPo. At least they have some real news there at times.