Monday, June 18, 2007

Liberal Confessional

The late, great "Morning Sedition" used to do a reguarly recurring bit called "Liberal Confessional" wherein listeners would call in and confess their liberal "sins" to hosts Marc Maron and Mark Riley. Examples: "I am dying to buy a Cadillac Escalade." "I run my air conditioner 24/7 from Memorial Day to Labor Day." "I love McDonald's." "I am attracted to Condoleezza Rice." (And no, I did not make that last one up, people!)

Well, shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, but here is my Liberal Confession: I have no desire to read even one article in Vanity Fair's "Africa" issue. I don't know if it's outrage fatigue, the hyper-earnestness of the whole effort, that Bono has become annoying, the absence of contributions by James Wolcott or Michael Wolff, that Graydon Carter spent millions to have Annie Liebovitz bathe celebrities (including, incredibly, George W. Bush and the aforementioned Condi Rice) in rich halos of do-gooderism, or if I just don't care, but I am not reading that thing. I'm going to take it with me this morning and leave it in a coffee shop.

No comments: