Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spam

Since the webpage redesign this place has been infested with Spammers.   I have resisted doing an authentication system because, well, I don't like them.

So I'm trying (not really hard, I admit, I have other priorities in life, sorry) to get rid of them without requiring you to authenticate yourself.

Meanwhile, one thing blogger seems to do to handle spammers is pick one post where all spam seems to go.

For example look at this post -- from 2006!   There are hundreds of comments...all spam.

That is fucking scary.  My dog deserves better.

Why couldn't have picked one of my grotesquely insensitive and wrong Ann Coulter posts from those early days (wrong not in mocking Ann Coulter, but cruel otherwise)?

6 comments:

Marcellina said...

If you ever start looking around for another blog platform (not saying you should, plenty of folks remain happy with Blogger), Wordpress has a very good spam filter.

(But now that I said that, from my own experience I will add: if you ever DO switch platforms, don't delete the old blog, just let it sit dormant with a link to the new. Someone pulled my old dead blog out of the wayback machine and "reconstituted" it with the old URL, then filled it up w my old posts plus spam.)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the comments as well your posts, and would easily put-up with a sign-in, or having to put in a random code to post myself. Not a big deal. I have to do it with the WaPo and the NY Times, not to mention my office systems, personal systems, etc., so what's one more?

A.J.

donnah said...

I hate spammers. When I see that there are a lot of comments, my first response is, Yay! Conversation!

But if course, it's junk. I hate that.

If you must go to an authentication program, okay. I enjoy your site and will prove my ID if necessary.

Grung_e_Gene said...

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!

Spaaaaaaa-am Spaaaaaaaa-am!

pansypoo said...

try going back to the old green. and spam loves archives. because spam is stupid.

NonyNony said...

Is there some way to just turn on "Captcha" checking without requiring full authentication? Captchas are annoying, but I've noticed that sites that use captchas don't seem to get as many spammers even without authentication.