Friday, July 14, 2006

Don't Look At Me Obama

Today NPR gives the good Senator from Illinois a gigantic platform to talk about how we need to "heal divisions" by ackowledging or confronting that which binds us at a deeper level, or something like that.

Alright, here we go. I am a semi-practicing Catholic. I do not want to hear about a candidate's faith. I do not want to hear a politician quote scripture as a basis for legislative decisions. To be certain, a huge part of the electorate (although an apparently naive and adolescent part) bases their votes specifically on a person's professed faith--or worse, that they are "born again" and believe that at the end times a not so happy Jesus, but a Jesus no doubt with flowing robes and a beautiful mein and beard will pilot a chariot to somewhere on earth where he will send people like me right to hell. Whatever. I have little doubt that people that believe this shit are earnest, but I'm not buying their snake oil.

My message to Senator Obama: we should NOT be looking for common ground with the nutjobs that politicians like Bush, Delay, Frist, Rove, Brownback, and others seek to placate. I'm not saying they should be excluded from the process, I'm just saying they have had their day and have so roundly fucked-up their chance it is time to just speak the truth. A person's religious beliefs should remain just that: one person's beliefs. So keep it to yourself, will ya.

No comments: